One of the most asked questions I get is “What should we wear for our family photo session?” It can feel overwhelming to dress everyone in your family, which is one reason I like to have a consultation with my clients prior to their session with me. During your consultation, we will talk about your vision for your session so I can capture the images you want. We will also discuss family members’ personalities, schedule your photo session, and of course, discuss what to wear.
With that said, I thought a blog would be a great place to share some of my thoughts about what to wear at a family photo session. When deciding what to wear for a family photo session, it’s important to consider a few things to ensure that everyone looks coordinated and the overall result is visually appealing. Here are some tips to consider:
- Choose a color scheme: Instead of having everyone wear the same exact outfit, choose a color scheme that coordinates well together. For example, you could choose a neutral color like white or beige, and then have everyone wear clothing with accent colors like blue or green.
- Coordinate but don’t match: While you don’t want everyone to wear the same thing, you also don’t want everyone to wear completely different styles and colors that clash. Of course, we want your individual personalities to shine, but there is a difference between some people looking casual with some in formal wear. Make sure that the colors and styles complement each other so that the overall look is cohesive.
- Consider the location: Think about the location where the photos will be taken and choose clothing that fits the environment. For example, if you’re taking photos at the beach, you may want to wear lighter, breezy clothing.
- Dress appropriately: Make sure that everyone is dressed appropriately for the occasion. If it’s a more formal event, choose clothing that is dressy, and if it’s a more casual event, you can choose clothing that is more relaxed.
- Avoid busy patterns and logos: Avoid wearing clothing with busy patterns or logos, as they can be distracting in the photos. Instead, choose solid colors or simple patterns.
- Accessories: Don’t forget about accessories! They can add interest and texture to the overall look. Scarves, hats, and jewelry can all be great additions to the outfits.
Overall, the key is to choose clothing that makes you feel confident and comfortable, and that coordinates well with the rest of your family’s outfits while expressing your individual personalities.